Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Being an Author: How To Write

So yeah, I've decided to ramble about being an author under the guise of Being an Author. I know it shortens to baa. I can't be bothered to change it now. (I know you're thinking that I've got a thing for sheep)

So I've decided to start with 'How To Write'. Now I know that most of you reading this will fall into one of two camps. Either you are an author, or you want to be an author. So you're probably thinking, Hell, you're going to do the whole of how to write in one post? Wow. That's impressive, what a guy. You'd be right of course, but not about the subject.

We all write differently, but in some way, we all write the same way (zen, I know). No really. You wanted to be an author (or a writer, or whatever you want to call it... keyboard fondler) at some time, and decided to sit at a keyboard/pick up a pen/crayon and actually put those first tentative words down. That's where we're all the same. We write. It's what we do. The names in the title.

Write Everyday.

Aargh! No! Not that one again!  I know, I know, well calm down. I've seen all the people that say if you really are a writer, then you have to write, and well, they're right. Thing is, no matter who says what, sometimes you either have no inclination to write, or hell, just don't have time. No matter what they say, sometimes you do just run out of hours.

What they should be saying, is that if you are looking for a reason not to write, or you find yourself day after day saying that you're too tired or whatever. Then honestly? It maybe time to hang up the keyboard and go back to playing Minecraft. I've had times like that. I don't know if I was too tired to write, but I just didn't want to. After three months of writing three thousand words a day - seven days a week - and yes, I do have a full time job as well, maybe I was just burnt out. Maybe. These days I just timetable myself an hour. I try my hardest to fill that hour with nothing but writing, and if I go over, I go over. And really. If you miss a day, it's not the end of the world. (Unless you're on a deadline - then it maybe, but that's your problem.)

Your Writing Changes.

It does. When I first started writing horror I thought that what I had seen in the movies was a great starting point... it is, but it's not. Take my old friend Freddy. Making a madman like that might translate to the written word - it may not. The only way to know is to try. (Yes. Some of your writing will blow chucks and suck poop. It happens.)


Thing is, as you find your own way, you'll naturally find a curve that you fit in. It most likely won't be what it was when you started, and hey, you might not have been expecting it, but when you hit it, everything changes. I'm not going into what, but you'll know when it happens.

Right. That's all I'm saying for now. If you disagree, comment on it, and we'll argue (constructively of course and hopefully not when I'm halfway down a bottle of something - my arguments may be flawed in that case). I'll be back with something else earth shattering to say soon, so 'til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment