Thursday, 1 September 2011

Being an Author: Finishing Things.

So here's the thing right, I've been working hard over the last few months (to the detriment of other things - as I've already said) and now I'm starting to wind down towards actually finishing a major project. And by wind down, I actually mean I'm one sitting away from finishing the writing - and moving on to the editing.

I don't know why, but it sorta scares me, (like hamsters with x-ray vision and rocket launchers strapped upside down to giant spider's backs). I mean, yeah it's cool and all, but now I've got to stop writing all the time and do something productive...

... like editing (whimpers).

So yeah, when you finish writing you have to start editing (unless you have an editor tied up in the basement - which isn't such a bad idea). Editing scares me. I look back at the spreadsheets full of notes and the stacked up printouts with somebody elses scribble all over it - who, by the way, passed over a piece of work to me the other day and said - "So I suppose you read it all now and decide you don't like any of it." Aargh!

That's what I'm scared of! Well, one of the things anyway.

I don't like the thought of editing - in case I don't like anything that I've written. I know that I'm not going to like all of it - but I kinda hope to like some of it. That, at least, is one of the bonuses of having a reader work with me. At least he brings stuff back and throws it to the floor exclaiming that I'd wasted his evening by forcing him to read 4000 words of donkey dribble. (That goes in the bin - he's usually right.)

It's just something that needs to be done. I was talking to writer once who said that he didn't edit his own work before subbing it to a house, because that was what an Editor was for. Yeah, that's not very likely to work. If you don't edit your work at all, that means that you're sending out your first draft. Don't do that. Mine certainly don't make any sense. And I usually write them drunk.

So anyway, I vented.

'Til next time.

Btw, I don't condone tying up editors (-or anyone else come to that) in the basement. 


1 comment: