Monday, 23 April 2012

The Further Thoughts of Dialogue...

So, do you make dialogue interesting, flowery, or productive? Well, the answer is obvious. Yes.

Dialogue should be readable, it should engage the reader and make them care enough to read more. This is interesting. Dialogue should be different. It should be more than just a conversation that you would have in the street, you know, with a mate. Dialogue should serve to move the story forward. In some circumstances, it is the story.

Do you want to hear the words like you're standing at a bus stop? (See the last dialogue post)

No.

Do you want to hear the words like you're standing at a bus stop next to Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, or maybe Liam Neeson.

Dialogue Makers: Don't you wish you were sitting at that table?
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

This is good dialogue.


So anyway. See inane rant.
And I'll leave you will this:





No comments:

Post a Comment