Sunday, 29 July 2012

Being an Author: When life creeps in...

I've been thinking. (Yes you, you at the front, stop giggling)

On the subject of 'write what you know' (I know I wasn't on that subject), exactly where do you stop doing it? Where's the line? I mean, let's say that (heaven forbid) a loved one passed. At what point do you say, 'Fine, I'm doing a horror story about that event'? When you have a car accident - killing someone - when do you go, 'Hold on, I could make a nifty tale on that?

See, thing is, I have stuff that happens (shock shock, horror horror), and I don't put said stuff into my writing (most of it is laborious stuff - who wants to read about my day at work - amiright??), but when something interesting happens (rare) I still don't do it.

So I separate my life from my writing.

So when do I 'write what I know'?

Is it never? It feels like never. When George penned the mighty Star Wars (and before you start spouting about what he penned/didn't etc... I know) was it from personal experience? I hope so. I hope he met a wookie and lightsabered everyone in the foot. (See. No profanity) Did Gene boldly go? Did he do that?

No.

Is that what it means though?

No.

In profound land, I'd like to think that 'write what you know' means that you bring yourself to the story, your 'way', your voice, your 'you'.

But I don't think we live in a profound land (most of the time, anyway). So I'm going to get drunk, get in my two-story-tall mech and go squish some people.

You know who you are.

'Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment