Saturday, 21 July 2012

Being an Author: Writing Your First Novel Part: Something

Did you see what I did there?

You see, when you're writing your first novel, everything seems to go out the window. Especially if you've had the year I've had. I was supposed to finish in February at the latest. First draft - words flung at paper. And here I am. July.

It is still July isn't it?

Anyway, much as I tend to, I've digressed.

I've finished. (Yeah I know that by finished I mean I've done the first draft. Tears were shed. Lamp loved. A meager battle in the war, victorious.)

You see, I didn't give up. I read so oft that this writer and that writer have the great novel in progress. Have they given up? Is it War and Peace? Who cares? I could have given up. No one would have blamed me. Let me clarify. I had a voluputous change in my circumstances at the beginning of the year. (you know, shattering) and I had written (almost to the word) half a novel at the time of said happening. Compounding this, it was my first time. My cherry novel.

It would have been easy to burn the book (see, I even got in a nazi reference) much like a lot of other things, but I didn't. It took me months to get it (and me) back on track.

There is a moral to this, and it is simple.

Don't give up. Finish what you started. If you want to write a novel, write a goddamned novel. Take your time - the time you need. But whatever happens. And for the first time in the history of filingwords, I'm going to splurge profanity:

If you want to write the novel. Write the fucking novel. 

That is all.

'Til next time (and hopefully profane free)...

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Life don't make it easy, when life gives you lemons, you take those lemons and set life on fire... with the lemons!

    ReplyDelete