Monday, 13 August 2012

The Mad Mannequins From Hell: A Review.




Never before have I had to do a review quite so two fold, but for the Mad Mannequins from Hell, you get two. One of the book, and one of the author. It's the only way to be sure.

Mad Mannequins

If you've never read what comes in the genre 'bizarro' then this is a good start. It's actually an easy read. I always try my best to remain spoiler free in my reviews, and to be honest, if I tried to spoil this, you wouldn't believe me. There are so many things that I want to reference, but can't. I mean a sexualized nun, the baby Jesus ninja kicking through the air... and oh, God, the skateboards...

It all sounds like a joke, doesn't it?

Okay, so the book is strange. It is also slightly awesome. You may not have noticed, but I'm into horror. This is horror. It's a story that makes perfect sense (don't let me guide you into thinking that it doesn't make sense), about what I can only liken to 'end of the world, zombie apololypse' material. Except with mannequins. And nuns. I never thought that I say that mannequins are scary. The protagonist is both believeable and likeable, the situations, well, after you get used to the style (maybe ten pages), are beliveable. It might come down to the writing (but I'll come to that), but I actually believed in and was rooting for Burton and his quest. I wanted the dude to win. Slay that Santa.

I don't score books like other people, but what I do is say, 'Go get it.' It's here in the US:

Mannequins

and here in the UK:

Mannequins

It doesn't cost much, and trust me. You might like it.

This leads me to...

August V. Fahren.


August V. Fahren writes. I won't say he's a writer though. He's an author. He seems like a straight up guy in the times that I've talked to him. But I don't want to talk about his 'personality'. I want to talk about his writing. 

I've read a good number of 'independent' author's work. Most of it is good, it's interesting. Some authors rely on Editors, some rely on themselves.

August appears to rely on - and I've thought about it a lot - being smooth. I mean his writing is so easy to read. Christ, I'm reading one of the strangest things I've ever read, and I don't want to put it down. It's... bizarre.

Mad M, is not a widely published book. It doesn't have the backing of a million dollar press, and so could easily have been... misguided. It could have been down right rubbish, a vanity project. It doesn't come across as that. It reads (as I'm sure August wanted it to) like a real, cool story.

I see from the mighty Amazon that he has other work out.

I hope that I get to read it

No comments:

Post a Comment