Saturday, 1 September 2012

Being an Author: Trying Something New

Horror. I'm not going to say it again. You know this. But I stumbled across something new. I started writing another novel. I haven't finished planning it entirely yet, but I felt that it was largely ready enough for me to 'put pen to paper'.

So I started.

Opening chapter. Introduce protagonist, mild peril, the regular sort of thing. But then something new happened.

I had a very clear picture in my mind of how I wanted the feel of the work. Something more gothic than I was used to. Burtonesque, if you will. A tact that I have stayed away from for a couple of years, and something that I felt would reflect the content of the work well.

But it didn't come out right.

It was... lighthearted? The content is dark, pitch black, I haven't imagined my usual story with this one. I'm bringing my something new to the table. And yet, it's coming out all... odd. Stylistically it's not me. It's more like my fantasy work than my horror, and yet the theme is darker than even my, dark, tastes.

And I like it.

Could it turn into my opus? Could it be my greatest work? Open doors into new worlds? Path my future with gold?

I doubt that last one, but it would be nice.

Either way, this week I have put my toe in the waters erotica, looked at poetry in a new way, read Shakespeare, and this.

Whether it works or not, it is exciting. Hopefully for the reader as much as me. And well, the future? You never know.

'Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment