Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Being an Author: Writing Your First Novel: Part 8

Third draft done.

Antagonist? Weird. Sinister. Complicated. Evil. A whole character. Or two.

Annoyance?

I promised myself at the end of this draft I would shelve it for a week or two and now I don't want to. I want to start four. (How many drafts should there be?)

Maybe it's time to read it? Just do a dry run like I did when I'd finished writing it.

How many problems are there?

Does it still make sense?

Will it stink now? More than before? (I'm unwilling to go through that again. Well, that much alchohol, anyway.)

It's not long enough. I've cut out more than I've put in... Can I put pictures in, you know, like in essays for school. Something pretty? (No, you can't have pictures of my girlfriend!)

...and when the head of the struggling author explodes, the best thing that the reader can do is buy more of his books...

I'm going away to think.

I want to say something inspirational for those of you that actually want something inspirational:

...um...

Draft it 'til you like it. Then draft it again.

'Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment