Monday, 29 October 2012

Schrodinger's Horror

Welcome to the experiment.

Some of you will be in no doubt of what Schrodinger's Cat is. That is not what I am here to discuss. I will briefly summarize it, but if you would like to know about his experiment please visit the wiki page on it here.

For the purpose of this post I wish to try to relay a very small part of the Schrodinger's Cat Thought Experiment and show you how perception of horror can be changed. How you can make your audience feel things in new ways.

It started when I was reading about the Schrodinger experiment. The premise (put extremely simply) is that a cat is placed and sealed in a box with a device which has a random chance of killing the cat. This means that the cat can be thought of as both dead and alive because it is unobserved. Then I started thinking about the box. The thought of opening it to find Mr. Tiddles bounding into your arms, wondering why you'd locked him in a box, or, a dead cat. The ex Mr. Tiddles.

That moment.

That moment right there, before you open the box, is where you feel horror.

So now, I ask that you step into that moment. I'm going to ask you to commit. To join with me in an experiment.

Below is a video. It is a video that contains footage of a real life accident. (Nothing illegal for me to show, I assure you.) But in order for me to relay the feelings that I wish to, I'm going to ask you now to either stop reading, or commit yourself to watching the video.

If you are not going to watch the video, the feelings are flawed and the experiment a failure.

If you are still here then you have decided to watch the video and I will continue.

The video below is an excerpt of footage filmed as part of a German Car Advertisement. During the filming (on the footage below) one member of the film crew is struck by the car, clearly on camera. He was hurt - quite badly - but not fatally.

You are going to watch that footage. You have already committed to doing this.

How do you feel? Are you nervous? Scared? Butterflies?

The choice now removed, you will feel some attraction towards the video. It's now falling into the 'forbidden fruit' territory. I have taken away your right to say no. You can say it was my fault. 

Tell me, are you a little excited? My stomach twists with excitement being in control like this.

The way you feel being the audience of horror is like this, but this is heightened. You are going to do something closer to real than being the audience of fiction.

You are now the audience of fact.

The feelings that you are experiencing now are part of the apprehension of horror. You are going to do something that you know you shouldn't. You feel aroused by the fact that your choice has been taken away. You have to do it. You have no choice.

Do it.

Play the video:

video

Now do you understand?

Do you know where you have to take your readers in order to show them the horror?

Do you feel different?

No comments:

Post a Comment