Sunday, 13 January 2013

An Interview: Donald White


Today, FilingWords is proud to be joined by author, Donald White. 

Donald White: Author
FW: Donald, thanks for stopping by. Please, tell us a little about yourself.

DW: I grew up on the North Carolina coast, but I now reside in Durham. I am currently employed at a software company in Raleigh, but my real passion is writing. I have over two dozen original works in various genres.

FW: You have several ebooks available at Amazon. Tell us about them.

DW: “Lady Killer” is the story of a killer, of course. Rick Smith has a proclivity for murdering women of a high station in life and Elizabeth Montgomery is his latest chosen victim. However, in the fine tradition of Hitchcock, there are a few twists and turns. Rick Smith will come to face a true predator.
 
“The Face in the Mirror” is a tale of a man struggling to write erotica who encounters a ghostly seductress in the form of Melanie. Who is she? What does she want? And why can he only see her when he looks into a mirror?

“Vengeance and Valor” is a work in the fantasy genre: a group of men are trapped in a cave by dark elf sprites. The inevitable conflict is bloody and brutal in the fashion of Robert E. Howard. It is a tale of uncommon bravery and unexpected heroes. 



FW: You’ve self published. Can you share any experiences with us, particularly as someone new to it?

DW: Self publishing is a different animal altogether. I have been published in print and in electronic formats; but when you self publish, by definition, you are doing it on your own. YOU are the publisher. YOU are the editor. The whole project stands or falls based on the decisions YOU make. That can be a daunting task, but it is also a satisfying one. I am the kind of person who is constantly putting themselves to the test, and then raising the bar. I like something I can sink my teeth into.

FW: Do you self edit, or do you have an editor?

DW: I do not have an editor as of yet. So, I constantly read and reread my work for grammar, structure, and economy of words. I do test my work with a few fellow authors, and any possible problems they point out are evaluated and, if necessary, the story is amended. Editing is an ongoing process with me, and it can take awhile to render the tale in its best possible form.

FW: Where is your writing going next?

DW: I would really like to put together a short story collection. I already have a title in mind and an idea for the cover. I intend to write an introduction for each story, delving into its psychological aspects. Once I am able to gain a foothold in the writing world with my shorter works, then I have a few novelettes and novellas along with a couple of fantasy novels that I intend to release. There is a LOT more to come.

FW: Is there anything that you enjoy more than anything else, when it comes to writing?

DW: I like stories about people. The characters are the life’s blood of any story. If you like them, then you will care about what happens to them. If you don’t like them, then you will not invest yourself in the work. When I write, I envision my characters as real people, with real motivations. Even the villain is a person, albeit with a fatal flaw.

FW: Is there anything else you like to add?

DW: I would like to thank you for your time and for the space to speak about what I am most passionate about. Writing is a passion that consumes you every day and every night. Each hour is an opportunity and not a minute should be wasted. I love to write. I have been writing for many years now and I look forward to sharing my visions with the world. 

Thank you Donald, for being here.

You can find Donald's work at his Amazon page here, and why not come on over and meet him on Facebook.

Not a Facebooker? Then here: Good old fashioned email: don73w@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment