Friday, 11 January 2013

The Next Big Thing

Man, am I tardy. I got tagged on this 'ere blog hop by both Darren Gallagher and Eden Royce waaayyy before Christmas. It's been so long, mine may very well be the last...

So anyways, here's my next big thing:


What is the working title of your book?

Shutter Speed. That’s in concrete.

Where did the idea come from for the book?

I have no idea. At all. I just sat down and started pantsing. When I started it could have finished at anytime, and been any length.  

What genre does your book fall under?

Horror. No, wait. Chiller.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

This is a bit of a challenge. I don’t want to give too much away. Hm.




Ever since I saw him on Big Bang Theory, DJ Qualls was Puppy, the degenerate, paranoid, drug dealer.










I knew when I was writing the character of Simon, that Ray Winstone would be perfect. The father figure with a heart, who runs a breakfast cafe specializing in exotic foods.






What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

I actually can’t. Dear God, this has got to be the hardest sentence in the world. Hold on...

Jimmy’s got a problem he can’t control and it’s the other half of him; the split personality is going to bring down Hell tonight.

How’s that?

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

It’s sitting with a publisher now, fingers crossed. I might self pub if I can’t find a publisher. Conceptually it’s a bit of a character piece, so I might have trouble finding it a home. Who knows?

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?


About ten months. There’s a whole other half of the story to that. Time passed. What I will say is that next time when I start, I’m going to finish. No mucking around in the middle. No excuses.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?


Richard Barking?
Off the top of my head, I have no idea. It's sort of dark like Richard Laymon and Clive Barker, but character-y like King. So if the three had a love child, it would be like that. Richard Barking.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?

I've been writing horrors and chiller shorts now for a while now, and I saw the novel as the next logical step. That was actually my only inspiration to do this. I just wished it had been finished sooner.

The reason it is the story it is, is because I had just finished up The Human Condition and was off supernatural horror. The next solo novel's going to be all that.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Jimmy, the antagonist/protagonist of the piece is part of a two-part person. He’s got dissociative identity disorder. For the first half of the novel, the reader has no way of knowing which character in the cast is Jimmy. It’s all played from the other half of the personality.

See, that wasn't so hard. I know I'm supposed tag five people here at the bottom, but most people I know have already done it, so instead, I'm going to say visit these here blogs and check out their awesomeness:


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention! I added you into my Blog Hop post. ;)

    Link: http://blog.rebeccabesser.com/2012/12/12/blog-hop---the-next-big-thing.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Rebecca. I'm so belated I didn't think that tagging people was a good idea :)

    ReplyDelete