Monday, 4 February 2013

Self Publishing: Creating Your Own Cover (II)

So, where was I?

Ah, yes.

Are you an artist? Are you? What, I've done this bit? Okay then.

So last time, it was 'shopping your own cover. What if you can't? Do you draw your own cover? Like, hand draw? Can you draw like Gary McCluskey? Can you draw like this?

Gary McCluskey: man who can draw.

No?

Then don't draw it.

We have already discussed the whole, bite with the eye thing, and we know that a crumby cover says crumby book (regardless of whether it is, or isn't). You don't want your book to have the drawing of a two year old let loose with the crayons and a wall on the front. (Unless it is about two year old's, walls and crayons). No. You know what?

It would look better without a cover, than a bad cover. Look at this:

Er... The Catcher in the Rye...
Now that's pretty awesome, isn't it? I'm not going to shame anyone and start showing pictures of what I think are bad covers here, that's all just my opinion. But a cover like this can be done in any old free bit of software, all you need to do is choose a color and a font. It really couldn't be easier.

Just don't kill your book but giving it a broken cover. Get opinions. Ask, and ye shall be honored with the truth. Hey, I'll tell you it's shit, if it's shit, in private. Not here.

But then, of course, you could get a pro in on the game.

I know that money is a factor. They say you need to spend money to make money. I know, I'm turning into a clique. But it's true.

For example, you see Mr. McCluskey's work about. The man can draw, I cannot, therefore funds change hands in exchange for services.

And there are plenty of guys out there doing this...

Gary McCluskey, of course, and William Cook are just two I happen to know. Google search will give you a packet load.

My personal friend Mr. Dale Eldon is branching out. You can find him here. He'll be working awesome covers like this:


Yeah, that's how he rolls. (BTW, go and buy this. It's freakin' awesome-creepy) They'll be more from Mr. Eldon in the next couple of weeks, as he's sweeping by to talk about covers, working in the industry, and generally being the man behind a lot (and I mean a lot) of projects. Watch this space. 

Costs vary from site to site and person to person. Thing is, you need to know what you want, but also what you've got to spend, and then you need to make sure you go to the right place.

I said last time that I wasn't affiliated with any of the sites that I commented on. This time I will say that Mr. Eldon is a friend, but also an awesome guy who won't steer you wrong, I can't really hide the fact that Gary McCluskey is responsible for the cover art of my own, 'The Human Condition', and that I know William Cook. If you want my honest opinion, these three guys are all sorts of awesome and they'll help you. Anyone else and I can't say.

You pay your money and you takes your chance.

In the next part, I've got some things to talk about that I'm not sure about. But it's still covers...

... I'll be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment