Friday, 8 March 2013

Being an Author: On Writing...

Writing. It's a funny old game.With all the advice that we get (and some of us give), can we say that there are hard and fast rules on writing?

Write Every Day

Yes. Well. No, actually. I do something writery everyday. Sometimes though, it's not actually writing, per say. These days I'm tied up with so many different projects (from cover art, promotional materials, trailers, serials, editing, collabs, novels and shorts, blogs (yes, multiple - more on that another day)) that much as I would love to write every day, I simply just can't. 

I know my time limitations and I work with them, not against them, as I dearly love to actually write, but on some days I do have to edit this piece, and sacrifice the words.



Enjoy it

Firm yes. I know that editing is troublesome to some etc. but the written word - your written word - must be fun. You must like to do it. Sure, you can do it just for the money (or a thousand other reasons), but your narrative will suffer.

I always have fun with my characters. I may not like them, but I enjoy them. When they're no fun anymore, they don't stick around (hence why I'm so big on the culling). 

Writing is the same. If you don't enjoy it, it's time to try something else - a different genre, style, or hey, maybe go play video games for a while. 

Read for fun

Just do it. I read for fun everyday. You have to. I know the rule is reading will make you a better writer, but damn it, just pick up a book to enjoy sometimes. That's what they were written for.

Finish something

Right now I'm a little guilty of this. I've got a lot on the plate, and nothing seems to be taking wild priority. But finish something. Even if it sucks donkey balls. I've got a pile half-arsed shorts, half-arsed started. They're not what I'm talking about. I think we are all guilty of writing a couple of hundred words and then going, "Nah. Load of ol' bollocks."

I'm talking about giving up on a short that you were aiming to hit around 4K with, and then stopping at 3K because oh I don't know, the tide went out.

'Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment