Monday, 4 March 2013

Self Publishing: More Cover Work...?

Fiverr?

Never heard of it?

Well, I've never used it, I'm not endorsing it in any way, nor dissing it either. I'm just... bringing it to your attention.

So what is it?

Fiverr is a website that puts you in touch with people that sell services for $5. (No, not those sorts of services. Besides, for $5? Yek!) It does offer all sorts of services from the strange and bizarre (have anything you like written on a piece of card and I'll hold it in one hand, and a bunny in the other) to things like, oh, I don't know EBOOK COVERS.

Here's the link to the ebook bit.

Generally, for cover design, the gig appears to be, send me your picture and text and I'll put it together for you. So if you know what you want, but don't have the technical ability, then this might just be the place for you.

For $5 you buy the expertise, not the images, etc.

This is good, a) if you know what you want, and b) understand the legal blah blah on stock images etc.

But be warned. Some of the service providers don't allow you to go back and say, "Hey, can you just..." whilst others will offer you a choice of 4, and you can pick.

Just sayin'.

Oh, and one other thing...

Let's just take this moment to reflect on ebook only covers. Think for a moment - just quickly - about the size of the image. I know, when you look at it on screen, it's fecking awesome, right?

Now go and look at Amazon. Go on, I'll wait.

Your book cover, on it's own Amazon sales page, isn't very big, is it?

Does it still impact?

Can you still read the text?

And worse... at the bottom of the page, there is the other customers who bought this also bought...links. OMG. They're even smaller.

And inch by an inch and a half.

I can't read hardly any of them. I don't know what the pictures are of.

I'm not going to click on any of them.

Think about it.

I'll be back...


No comments:

Post a Comment