Thursday, 18 July 2013

Review Week - More Than a Shadow by Toni Rakestraw

Warm, heart felt, tear-jerking. Wow.


Carrie Mitchell is the perfect size zero. Her life should be perfect, right? Not quite. Carrie has problems accepting her looks like so many others. Will she figure out a way to come out of the shadows and accept herself?

Firstly, I will just say from a personal note, that this is not my usual 'bag'. But I will never regret reading this. And I don't care who you are. Go and read it. Think about it. Think about you.

I don't usually read things that mean something. This does. It reads like a true story. It feels like a true story. It is quiet, and well paced. Written in the first person, it felt like the protagonist was sitting there, reading it to me. Telling me what happened. I felt like Carrie was telling me this over a coffee. It's well written. Warm.

I could relate to Carrie. Not me with my hairy, beery, beardness, of course, but I know someone it reminded me of.

I think we would all know someone.

And that makes it a good story. No scratch that.

It's a great story.

Rakestraw is clearly a talented and experienced writer--she shows pedigree in the work--it's hard to explain. Perhaps the word I should use is smooth. She writes smoothly. The words fall like caramel from a spoon. Don't be fooled, there are no peaks and troughs in this tale. It isn't full of surprises, and it doesn't have a sting in the tail. It is what it is. It is a haunting, slightly awesome, piece of literature.

It's here: Amazon US.

I recommend you check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment