Monday, 30 September 2013

When Art Defines Thought

Deep, huh?

I've been traveling transcontinentally this year. It's the first time. I've visited America more than once.

And it's a revelation.

You see, I'm a film fan. A big one too. And you know what?

I haven't been shot at.

Yet.

According to all things I have witnessed on the internet, movies, books, and TV (the list goes on), I should have:

a) seen a shooting
b) been in a liquor store when it was turned over
c) seen a car chase and for bonus points a car exploding
d) been called 'Buddy', preferably by a cop, preferably by a cop who is 'on the edge'
e) all of the above.

Other peoples art is defining my beliefs and skewing my expectations on reality. And I know it's not just me. My friends kind of expected me to get shot by a gun toting 'Murican. Mind you, they have met me. I am also surprised no one has tried to shoot me.

Yet.

Anyway. I've been looking at things with a slightly different slant. I see stereotypes everywhere. And I have begun to question many things. I've also started to talk to other people in other cultures that I cannot experience myself.

Everything is wrong. Art has betrayed me.

And it is time that it should stop.

So talk to people in other countries, find out what is real and what is hear say.

And I'll stop expecting to get shot in America...if you stop expecting me to be wearing a bowler hat.

'Til next time...

PS I do want a bowler hat. Donations welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment