Friday, 8 November 2013

Review: Coyote: The Outlander

Well, I didn't expect this...






Normally I'd start with the genre, something like, "Chantal Noordeloos brings us a 'insert genre here' tale". I will attempt to define this books genre:

Western Sci-punk?

I don't know, I could be wrong entirely.

Noordeloos has created an interesting world for Coyote, a bounty hunter in a steampunk/sci-fi/western. In places reading like a traditional western, others taking a fall into something nearer Trip-out City.

But at the heart of it lies a fun romp.

The book takes place in an alternate world, where a young woman loses her father, takes the name Coyote and travels the wild west with her partner Caesar. Together they hunt Outlanders: Aliens who have come to earth through rips.

It's written for a broad audience, containing no copious amounts of bad language, OTT violence, or gratuitous sexuality.

I would say it is a YA novel (it is fast paced, age suitable, and not the size of a doorstop) but that would do it an injustice. It is very well written. It's smooth.

I had already all but convinced myself that I was going to by the second book when it is released, and then the plot twist sealed it.
It also comes with a novel idea (geddit?), the 'second screen'. Thoughout the book you are given codes to unlock safes, and the safes are found on the Coyote website. Each safe is stuffed with treasure including further short stories within the world.

I have previously read some of Noordeloos's horror work. It seriously impressed me and one of my next reads is her anthology: Deeply Twisted. I wasn't sure if I was going to like that jump from that to this, or that Noordeloos would make such a genre jump.

She did. She did with grace.

I can't wait for the next one.

You can buy The Outlander at Amazon US, Amazon UK, or Smashwords, and visit the official site of the books here.

No comments:

Post a Comment