Sunday, 1 December 2013

Interview: Hayley Barlow

Today, Filingwords is happy to have with us Hayley Barlow, author of Lust or Love.



FW: Firstly, could you tell a little about yourself?

I would like to introduce myself to you all; I am a thirty-two year old and mum to a wonderful eight year old girl. I am a massive bookworm; I love to read anything so long as it has a gripping plot. Although new to the writing scene I also run my own small business in massage and holistic therapies which I started in April of 2013.

FW: Tell us about your forthcoming novel, Lust or Love.

Lust or Love is for 18’s and over only due to some swearing and sexual content. It isn’t your typical ‘happily ever after’ story; no rock stars, cowboys or rich guys sweeping you off your feet... This is an everyman romance.
What do you do when the one who completely wrong for you keeps coming back into your life? Single mother Heather is turning thirty and can’t help but evaluate her life. The book is set in a small town in Yorkshire, England in 2011. You will look back into Heathers past and follow her into the present.
For six years Heather has been torn between her feelings for the destructive Kian and the harsh truth that they probably won’t ever be together. For more than six years life has taken them in different directions; however Heather can never seem to get Kian out of her mind, and at the most unexpected points in her life Kian has a habit of reappearing. If it isn’t really love than is the lust worth the pain? Or can Heather let Kian go for good?

FW: What was it like to complete your first novel?

It was very surreal to be honest; I don’t think it has sunk in yet that I have actually written a novel. Also really scary because now it is getting closer to the publishing date I am worried people aren’t going to like it, or no one will buy it. On the other hand it is exciting because it is a huge achievement so a real mix of emotions I feel constantly.

FW: What tips can you give new writers?

Please do not give up on your dreams, don’t ever doubt yourself or let someone tell you, you can’t do it. Also there are lots of book chat groups on Facebook which are a great way to find like-minded people; it is also a great way to advertise your work. Create a blog and author page; let people follow you on your journey. The support you can receive is amazing and it is another great way to build interest in your writing.

FW: Who is your biggest influence, and why?

I don’t just have one; so many authors have inspired me; if I have to choose just one I think it would be E. L. James. I have seen lots of interviews she did and she seems so real and honest. I bet she never thought Fifty Shades Of Grey would ever get as big as it has done. I was truly inspired by the fact that she is just a normal housewife who followed through with an idea and kept going with her dreams.

FW: What do you think of self-publishing, as opposed to traditional publishing?

I was all set to self-publish as it did seem like the best route; it is hard work though with editing and formatting especially if you have never done it before. But you certainly can’t knock it; there has been so many to do it and be very successful at it. Before I was picked up by Nocturnal Press it seemed like the best way for me to get my work out there and seen. However there has been a spike in bad press about self-publishing of late. Authors having their work taking off sites and a lot of talk of taking down self-publishing programs which must be heart-breaking for those who had put all that hard work, time, passion and money into something to have it simply disappear! I was uncertain what to do as I thought you had to give publishing companies a lot of money before they would publish you, and it seemed almost pointless with the amount of rejections authors seem to go through. I didn’t think I would be able to handle that. I have been very lucky to find and be signed by Nocturnal Press Publications; so I am very excited that my work will soon be published. And I was wrong about all publishers; not all of them want money off you up front, thank goodness! But I will say like anything there are good and bad points to either route of publishing.

FW: What new works do you have on the go?

I have got a few ideas for my next novel; however I haven’t decided which I will be writing just yet. For now I am focussed on getting Lust or Love out and getting Christmas out of the way. By new year I should be starting my next book.

FW: Anything else you’d like to add?

Lust or Love is due out on the 15th of January 2014; for more information I have a few ways you can find me or get in touch, either through Facebook or my blog. Also there are some links for Nocturnal Press should anyone want to find out about the other authors or get in touch with NPP.



FW: Thanks for coming in.


No comments:

Post a Comment