Sunday, 28 February 2016

Review: Necrosaurus Rex

Sometimes you ask yourself, "What the fuck did I just read?" I liked it. I did. But I'm still not sure what the fuck I just read...


Necrosaurus Rex tells the tale of Martin, a simple janitor, who takes an unfortunate trip through time, becomes a violent mutant, and the father of us all. There’s 14 billion years crushed inside these pages, and most of them are pretty nasty. This book is a jet black rumination on the concept of miracles and the creation of the universe, a narrative whose lineage exists somewhere between Moravagine, Maldoror, and David Copperfield. Genesis, the Crucifixion, and Revelations reimagined as a transgressive nightmare. This is Necrosaurus Rex.

Okay, I'd sum the book up more, but I can't for not wanting to spoil it.

I'll be upfront. The synopsis above states: and most of them are pretty nasty. Now I have an unfathomably strong stomach for both food and horror. I love me some fucked up horror. And fried chicken. I did however struggle with the opening gambit of this. No, not the first 'chapter'. The second one. The one you can't read on Amazon Look Inside. 

You see, it's brutally violent. I've read brutally violent before. Doesn't bother me. But well written, brutally violent? That's another thing.

I actually considered not finishing the book at that point. 

But the quality of the writing kept me coming back. I actually ended up reading most of it twice for that reason.

So, the review:

The editing is sharp. The book doesn't list an editor, so one assumes this is all author, Nicholas Day's work. Good job. Really. Reading so much Indie, I read some pretty poorly edited material.

The writing, as I have said is strong. It's deft. It's a well written story, and of a quality I expect to see in a larger press (not taking anything away from Bizarro Pulp - they put this out after all. Good move, people). No. I'm bobbing on big six (five, whatever).

The story is interesting. It's different, and touches on topics I don't see tackled in fiction often, and I have read far and wide. It also tackles subject matter that can be...tough. People with disabilities in one sentence. Sickos in the next. And it's clean. At no point was I distracted from the story because I though Day had blown a character.

Nice.

It emotes. I felt sickened by the actions of some. It certainly did it's job there. I felt for people. 

So in summation?

It's sick, depraved, nasty, demented, sick, weird, bizarre and sick. But bloody well written sick, depraved, nasty, demented, sick, weird, bizarre and sick. The story is strange, but strong and tight, the characters are great, and presentation is excellent. 

You just need a strong stomach.


You can buy it here:





No comments:

Post a Comment